A 10 bedroom Grade II listed property in Lea, Derbyshire set in approximately 7.6 acres of gardens and land.
A substantial stone built period house dating from the 1600’s with a Georgian front extension put on in 1754. The house has been sympathetically modernised over the last few years and now offers excellent family accommodation over three floors. The house also has an integrated cottage which offers overflow accommodation and could be for a housekeeper or potentially a managers house should someone wish to holiday let the property. There are various stone buildings within the grounds which potentially offer the opportunity to extend the accommodation (subject to planning) and provide either holiday or ancillary accommodation.
Ground floor: Entrance hall with main staircase to first floor; access to the drawing room, sitting room and an enormous dining room to the rear with a door onto the rear terrace; kitchen/breakfast room with pantry and utility room off; back door; inner hall with rear staircase and cloakroom; second cloakroom at the head of the stairs down to four interconnecting cellars.
First floor: Two principal bedroom and bathroom suites to the front of the house; three bedroom and bathroom suites to the rear of the house.
Second floor: To the rear are three bedroom and shower room suites and steps at the front to a further bedroom with integral bathroom and a further large bathroom with access through to a double bedroom.
Annexe: With access from both the ground and first floors.Ground floor: Kitchen/breakfast room; dining hall; sitting room. First floor: Two bedrooms; shower room (en suite); separate cloakroom.
Front garden with terrace; large rear terrace with steps up to a lawned area with large pond; pasture land and gardens in all approximately 7.6 acres.
It is fairly certain that behind the current house there was a Chantry Chapel constructed by Robert Alvery during the reign of King John, after the dissolution in 1535 this chapel became a barn and was in use as such until fairly recent times. In 1709 the house was acquired by Thomas Nightingale, a local farm worker, who in time became rather adept at prospecting for lead. In 1754 his son Peter added the Georgian facade to The Hall and they continued to live at the house until 1796 when they moved elsewhere but retained the house until 1922. It is believed that Florence Nightingale lived at The Hall whilst the nearby Lea Hurst was being constructed for her parents.
The Hall is situated at the edge of the village of Lea within the parishes of Lea, Dethick and Holloway which are steeped in history. Lea is recorded in the Domesday Book, the notorious Babington Plot of 1586 was planned in Dethick and John Smedley’s woollen mill at nearby Lea Bridge was one of the earliest participants in the Industrial Revolution. The house is within a short drive of Matlock with its excellent shopping, transport and recreational amenities, the larger conurbations of Derby and Chesterfield are within easy reach and thus give access to the rail and motorway networks. The property is also within easy reach of the Peak District National Park with its excellent array of outdoor pursuits including walking, cycling, climbing and fishing to name but a few. There are also nearby historical attractions such as Chatsworth, Haddon Hall and Hardwick Hall.