A large family house constructed in 1912 for a Mr Job Holland in the ‘Arts and Crafts’ style under the direction of the Architect Arthur Nunweek, who it is speculated was a protégé of Edwin Lutyens and this would appear evident in the style and design of the house with its stone mullioned windows, leaded lights and use of beamed ceilings, wood panelling and inglenook fireplaces. The house which has not been on the open market since 1952 would appear to be in good structural order but now requires a degree of updating and modernisation and is approached through a pair of stone gate pillars with a driveway laid to stone setts leading up to an area of parking and a triple garage. Although the property is not currently listed, it has recently been inspected by English Heritage who may apply a listing in the near future. An impressive stone arched lobby leads to the front door and into the entrance hall off which is a large cloakroom with separate w.c. The hall opens into the drawing room with its deep bay window, fireplace, parquet flooring and leaded internal bay window overlooking the adjacent, magnificent, half wood panelled galleried hall comprising a large reception room with ornate inglenook carved wood fireplace and staircase, with double height stained glass window inscribed JH 1912, rising to the first floor minstrels gallery. There is a large dining room accessed from the galleried hall with a further impressive inglenook fireplace and wood parquet flooring. At the rear of the house is the kitchen/breakfast room which is fitted with an excellent range of wall and base units, a central island, extensive tiled work-surfaces and a fireplace incorporating a four oven ‘AGA’. A stable door from the kitchen leads into the family room. To the first floor is the master bedroom with a door out to a balcony and an en suite bathroom. There are three further double bedrooms, a family bathroom, separate cloakroom and boiler/dryer room. To the second floor are two large double bedrooms, a third double bedroom with sitting/sleeping area off and an en suite bathroom, further family bathroom and a large west facing billiard room. To the basement are a series of cellars, one of which is accessed from outside. There are various other outhouses, one of which houses the gas fired boiler. The house is surrounded on three sides by beautiful gardens which feature an array of mature shrubs, plants and trees. To the south is a large flat lawn leading to a large pond and then a wooded area. To the west front of the house is a raised paved terrace, a lawned area and a pair of curved stone steps leading down to a further lawned area and onto the tennis court. At the eastern end of the house, behind the parking area and garage are further woodlands interspersed with rhododendrons and various other mature plants and shrubs. The gardens and grounds in all extend to approximately 1.8 acres.
Entrance lobby; entrance hall; large galleried hall; drawing room; dining room; family room; kitchen/breakfast room; cloakroom; seven double bedrooms; four bathrooms (two en suite); billiard room.
Various outhouses; cellars; triple garage; tennis court; pond; beautiful mature gardens extending to approximately 1.8 acres; private drive; gardeners w.c.
Tedgness Road is a private road on the edge of the popular Peak District village of Grindleford in the Hope Valley.
Grindleford is situated approximately 6 miles north of the market town of Bakewell and is surrounded by hills and moors, it is close to the wooded Padley Gorge with the river Derwent running through its centre. The village also has its own railway station giving access to Sheffield and Manchester.
The village has a much used community hall named The Bishop Pavilion after Eric Bishop a resident of Grindleford and benefactor. There are also a couple of hotels and pubs, including the Sir William Hotel and the imposing Maynard Arms along with a number of shops, a post office, a garage and the Derwent Gallery which has been established here for a number of years. Grindleford has its own cricket ground, flanked on its eastern side by an 18th century three arched bridge that carries the main road over the river Derwent. Pedestrians cross via an adjacent footbridge curved to follow the line of the road bridge and an old toll house on the north bank is a reminder that this was an important crossing point in the old coaching days.
A path from opposite the toll house leads to St Helen’s church, a small tower-less building consisting of a chancel and low nave.